Tired of rushing to the bathroom?
- The average bladder can hold about 2 cups of urine before needing to be emptied.
- Voiding 6-8 times in 24 hour period is considered to be in the normal range. Getting to urinate more than 1-2 times a night is not considered normal.
- As we get older, our bladder capacity can reduce and we might have to pass urine more often , but not usually more than every two hours.
- Urine flow should be steady stream without any discomfort until the bladder is empty without the need to push or strain.
- An urge is a signal that is felt when the bladder stretches to fill with urine. Urge is not a command to got to the toilet but a signal and can be controlled.
- Waiting for more than 4 hours between toiletings is not healthy for the bladder and can cause it to leak.
- It is NOT NORMAL to have incontinence because you have given birth.
If you have any of the problems above, talk to a Pelvic Floor Physical Therapist.